- Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles. - Edward Abbey, "Desert Solitaire"
- Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel... the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. - Susan B. Anthony
- Bicycle riding as little as three miles a day will improve your sex life. - Dr. Franco Antonini
- Just as the ideal of classic Greek culture was the most perfect harmony of mind and body, so a human and a bicycle are the perfect synthesis of body and machine. - Richard Ballantine
- Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity. - Lord Charles Beresford
- The bicycle enables us to escape many other machines: We use it for transportation, sport, recreation, and make it a way of life. - Jobst Brandt, famous wheel builder, and author of "The Bicycle Wheel"
- Bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category of people. - Chip Brown, essayist, and author of "A Bike and a Prayer"
- City riding is a continual lesson in feminine principles, in particular the art of being vulnerable. A confrontational, macho aesthetic spells calamity. You must learn to yield, to dodge, to seek harmony. You are obliged to mind the web of interrelations, that complicated mesh of interestes, conflicts, and intentions. - Chip Brown, essayist, and author of "A Bike and a Prayer"
- Americans are a broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive there's something wrong with him. - Art Buchwald, quoted in "The Portable Curmudgeon" compiled by Jon Winokur
- Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowhip of the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for recumbents. - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
- Nobody ever died from not knowing how to play flag football. Yet we spend tax money teaching kids its nuances in gym classes, while bicycle safety is still foreign to most school curriculums. That isn't right. - Don Cuerdon, cycling journalist who uses the pen name "Captain Dondo"
- I thought of it while riding my bicycle. - Albert Einstein (Regarding his Special Theory of Relativity)
- Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein
- For city bicycling to catch on we need a revolution in our society's infrastructure. Right now a city rider needs to be a road warrior, and the bike needs to be cheap and ugly so it won't get stolen. That's not a bike friendly culture. - Gary Fisher, founder and CEO of Fisher Bicycles Riding
- A road rider who is unpracticed is merely an athlete on a bike, half-educated, a pedaler - not a complete cyclist. - Maynard Hershon, cycling journalist
- The bicycle is a curious vehicle. It's passenger is its engine. - John Howard, U.S. Olympic cyclist
- Bicycling is human scale - a living, breathing alternative to the city's domination by motor vehicles. There is magic in blending with traffic, feeling the wind in one's face, the sheer fact of traversing the city under one's own power. - Charles Komanoff, cycling advocate
- Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades. - Eddy Merckx
- The bicycle should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. - Christopher Morley, novelist, and writer of "The Romany Stain"
- Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym. - Bill Nye
- Those who wish to control their own lives and move beyond existence as mere clients and consumers - those people ride a bike. - Wolfgang Sachs, "For the Love of the Automobile"
- Cycling satisfies so many needs. If you're in a gregarious mood, you can go out with a group. OR you can go alone- solo. If you're in an aggressive mood, you can go fast, or if you're tired and want to unwind you can go slow. A bicycle doesn't discriminate in age, either. - Georgena Terry
- When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. - H.G. Wells
The content on this page has been collected from a variety of sources, and is assumed to be in the public domain.